Are you in need of some quietude? A pause in the day? A moment of silence? A place to rest the eyes, metaphorically?
Here are some ideas for gaining a bit of quietude in your busy life.
1. Create a clean surface in your home where the eyes can rest.
2. Make a small pot of tea and drink it. The time it takes to steep can be centering and it can begin the calming process we all need.
3. Look out a window for at least two minutes. Clear your mind and let your eyes wander.
4. Walk around the block. Even a short walk can bring things back in place.
5. Read a poem. Start with this one by William Stafford.
6. Rub lotion on your hands or feet. Try this one.
7. Hand wash your dishes. I know, it sounds crazy, but the warm water and the act of washing can create a relaxing moment.
8. Set the table for supper and allow that tableau to bring you peace.
9. Write a short letter or note to someone you love. The paper. The pen. The words as they come will calm you and bring out the love you have for the recipient.
10. Breathe. I mean it. Breathe and make each breath deep.